The next step in your onboarding experience is to complete the following two components of Providence Care’s corporate orientation. Together, they will ensure you have the foundational knowledge and skills required to begin.
New Employee Welcome (NEW) – Virtual
Hosted by Leadership & Talent Development, this four-hour introduction is designed to give you a strong understanding of Providence Care’s:
- Mission, Vision and Values
- Infection Prevention and Control measures
You will have the opportunity to hear and learn about key topics from senior leaders and experts across the organization.
Watch for an email from NewEmployeeWelcome@providencecare.ca. It includes more specific details about NEW, including dates and links needed to connect to the virtual session. Remember, it is mandatory for you to attend NEW.
How to attend the Virtual NEW
Please complete the steps below:
- Read all documents and complete all tasks outlined in the New Employee Checklist
- Download Microsoft Teams on the computer that you will be using during the orientation.
- One week before the corporate orientation, we will send you an email invitation with detailed information about the virtual orientation. Please direct any questions you may have to email@example.com
- Download and follow the Microsoft Teams instructions that will be emailed to you.
- Confirm your location for attendance with your Recruitment Specialist and Manager.
Virtual Session Expectations
- Join the meeting sent to you in the Virtual New Employee Welcome invitation email.
- Choose a quiet location with limited noise and interruptions.
- Please ensure that you and your environment are presented in a professional manner (i.e. ensure that you are dressed appropriately for work and that the objects that are within view are not inappropriate for the work environment).
- Turn your camera on so everyone can see and meet you.
- Ensure your microphone is set to mute when you are not speaking.
- Ensure that your full attention is given to the different presentations and activities.
- The orientation session requires your active participation and engagement in all discussions and activities; and will enrich everyone’s experience. Do NOT complete non-orientation-related tasks during the sessions.
- Attend your respective Union Representative meeting if you are unionized (LiUNA, ONA or OPSEU). If you’re not sure, ask your Recruitment Specialist which union you belong to.
Mandatory Employee eLearning
On your first day of work you will be assigned a series of mandatory eLearning courses via KnowledgeNow.
KnowledgeNow is Providence Care’s online Learning Management System. You will receive additional information about KnowledgeNow and how to access it in future communications.
Some of the courses assigned to you relate directly to your role, while others will be more general discussions about legislation, policies and practices you need to uphold while working at Providence Care.
Some of these courses will be about skills directly related to your role, while others will be more general discussions about the legislation, policies, and practices that you need to uphold while working at Providence Care.
The following list of courses must be completed on your first day of work:
- Privacy or Privacy and Connecting Ontario ClinicalViewer *
- Health and Safety Awareness Training
- Emergency Codes Red & Green or Emergency Codes for Offsite Locations *
- Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act
- French Language Services Act
- N95 Respirator User Training *
- Abuse: Recognition, Prevention, and Reporting *
* denotes a course that is dependent on your site/position. Please compete whichever course you have assigned to you.
These courses will take you approximately 3 hours to complete. If your first day is the same day as the Virtual New Employee Welcome, you will be scheduled time to complete these courses. If your first day of work is not on the same day, please ensure that you make arrangements with your manager to have time to complete this eLearning.
Beyond the courses listed above, there are additional core courses that are required to be completed within 30 days.
Following the New Employee Welcome, your unit/department will provide you with any other essential training that is specific to your role. At Providence Care, we believe in continuous professional development for our staff. We provide all new employees with professional development opportunities based on your role, interests, and learning plan.
You can refer to the training/orientation schedule that you may have received for further details. If you did not receive, then we encourage you to contact your supervisor/manager who will also provide you with details on your learning requirements and other specific resources and activities depending on your work requirements – refer to the schedule that you received from your Recruitment Specialist.
You may also be invited to attend these training sessions during the first week depending on your role:
- + Respirator fit-testing
- + Preventing & Responding to Aggressive Behaviour – Initial Orientation (classroom)
- + Inter-Professional Orientation: coming soon
- + Providence Manor Orientation: coming soon