Are you coming to a Providence Care site for a visit? Please wear your mask/face covering for the duration of your visit. Do NOT remove your mask/face covering to eat or drink.
Providence Care Hospital
All staff, physicians, students, volunteers, vendors and contractors must wear a mask within Providence Care Hospital.
Inpatients are required to wear a mask/face covering when outside their unit. If there is a medical reason why a patient/client cannot wear one, the care team will discuss other options. Certified PPE will continue to be used for patients and clients who require it for transportation or if placed on precautions.
Outpatients and visitors must bring a face covering to wear while at the hospital. If outpatients/visitors do not have their own, the hospital will provide an unrated mask for their use.
All staff, regardless of their work location or role continues to wear masks at all times when in the Home. Staff working on Resident Home Areas or working within two metres of a resident or colleague must also wear goggles.
Residents may choose to wear a face covering of their own. Certified PPE will continue to be used for residents who require it for transportation or if placed on precautions.
All General Visitors, Essential Caregivers and Essential Visitors must wear a mask for the duration of their visit. The only exception is for General Visitors taking part in virtual and window visits, everyone else must wear a mask.
Clients and visitors are asked to bring a mask/face covering to wear at any Providence Care Community Services location. If you don’t have a face covering of your own, you will be provided a mask to use. Masks/face coverings must be worn for the duration of your visit.
Clients receiving services in their homes or areas outside of Providence Care facilities are strongly encouraged to wear a mask when receiving care.
How to wear a mask/face covering properly
Protect yourself and others by ensuring you are wearing your mask/face covering properly.
- Wash your hands before putting on your mask
- Wear your mask so it covers your nose, mouth and chin
- Avoid touching the mask while wearing it
- Remove the mask using the straps or ear loops
- Wash your hands after removing your mask
- Dispose of or store your mask responsibly
- Continue to practice physical distancing, even while wearing a mask
- Do not wear a mask that is damp, dirty or difficult to breathe in
- Do not share your mask with others
- Do not wear your mask under your nose
- Do not pull the mask below your chin or wear the mask on your forehead
- Do not wear the mask hanging from one ear
- Do not touch your mask while wearing it
- Do not remove your mask to speak to others
- Do not increase contact with others because you are wearing a mask
Frequently asked questions
Why am I being asked to wear a mask/face covering?
COVID-19 may spread even when people do not have any symptoms. Asking healthy people to wear a mask/face covering helps prevent asymptomatic spread to other patients, clients, visitors and our healthcare providers.
By asking all staff, physicians, patients, clients, volunteers and visitors to wear masks we are
being consistent with emerging research about COVID-19 and the community practice of
wearing masks while in indoor spaces.
What if I don’t want to wear a mask/face covering?
Providence Care strongly encourages all patients, clients and visitors to wear a mask/face covering. If there is a reason why you are unable to wear one, such as a pre-existing health condition which would make it hard for you to breathe with one on, tell the entrance screening staff. They will discuss your situation and options you may have.
Will I get a mask when I arrive?
Our preference is for patients/clients to bring their own mask/face covering from home, in order to conserve our stock of masks for healthcare workers. However, where this is not possible, you will be provided with a mask at the screening station. Our entrance screening staff will ask you to sanitize your hands before putting on the mask/face covering. There is information posted on screening stations showing you how to put on a mask properly. You will be required to sanitize your hands again after putting on your mask/face covering.
Can I take my mask/face covering off once my appointment/visit is over?
Please leave your mask/face covering on the entire time you are inside a Providence Care facility. Please remove your mask once you exit the facility. If you need to take it off to eat or drink, or as part of your appointment, first wash/sanitize your hands and then remove your mask/face covering carefully, without touching your face.
If you have a disposable (medical or industrial) mask, it must:
- be new and clean (not worn before)
- be worn properly according to the maker’s instructions
- all attached ear loops, straps or ties should be used properly
- not have any tears, holes or vents
- not have exhale vents or valves. Although we know a vented mask may be more comfortable, it does not prevent your germs from spreading to others
If you have a reusable cloth mask or face covering, it must:
- be freshly washed; you should be able to machine wash and dry your mask between each use without it changing shape or being damaged
- be comfortable and fit snugly against your face
- ideally be made of multiple layers of fabric
- allow you to breathe easily