This Founders Day, December 13, 2014, marks the 153rd anniversary of the arrival of the Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul in Kingston. With construction underway for Providence Care Hospital, and plans to build a new long term care home in Kingston, we reflect on the legacy of the Sisters of Providence.
Providence Care has a long history of construction and renovation at our sites, as the needs of our community have evolved and changed over the years. Led by the Sisters of Providence of St.Vincent de Paul until divestment in 2007, some major projects include:
House of Providence: Established in 1861 (later Providence Manor) has seen numerous expansions and additions, including 1863, 1871, 1892, 1898, 1900, 1911, 1961, and major renovations to the entire Providence Manor, reopening in 1990, and the Mother of Sorrows Chapel was restored in 2004.
St. Mary’s of the Lake: The original building, known as Hawthorne Cottage, was purchased by the Sisters of Providence in 1904. Additions to the building were made in 1910 and 1930 while the Sisters operated St. Mary’s of the Lake Orphanage from the site. A major renovation was completed in 1956, and then again in 1974.
Mental Health Services: Before joining Providence Care in 2001, the Kingston Psychiatric Hospital (previously known as Rockwood Hospital, and then Ontario Hospital- Kingston) has occupied several buildings on the Kingston campus, including of course Rockwood (later Penrose). The Westwood building, home to the Mental Health Services site, was opened in 1959.
Both the buildings at St. Mary’s of the Lake, and Mental Health Services will be vacated once Providence Care Hospital opens in 2017. During the sponsorship of the Sisters of St. Vincent de Paul our buildings changed and evolved to meet the changing health care needs of our community. This is a tradition Providence Care continues today.
Megan Kerrigan, Archivist, Providence Care
MHS: Construction Outside of the Westwood Building, Ontario Hospital- Kingston, ca. 1950s
St. Mary’s of the Lake Hospital, Addition- 1953/54
Providence Manor construction, 1986
All photos are from the Archives Department, Providence Care