Construction is set to begin on Kingston’s first hospice residence. Centrally located in Providence Village at 1200 Princess Street, the ten suite residence will provide 24-hour care and support services in a comfortable, home-like setting to residents, their families and loved ones.
“I am excited to announce a significant milestone in our journey – after more than a decade of planning that started with Hospice Kingston and recently transitioned to the redevelopment team at Providence Care – we are ready to begin building Kingston’s first hospice residence,” says Krista Wells Pearce, Vice-President, Corporate Services & Executive Director, Hospice Kingston.
In April 2022, Hospice Kingston voluntarily integrated with Providence Care to create a seamless experience for the people we serve and to enhance positive growth in the delivery of community palliative care and hospice services.
The construction contract has been awarded to Kingston-based Emmons & Mitchell Construction Limited. Construction will begin as soon as building permits are issued and it is hoped that the residence will be open in mid-2024.
This new care setting will complement the continuum of high quality, compassionate palliative care provided at Providence Care – community hospice visiting and support programs, subacute palliative care at Providence Care Hospital, specialist palliative care consultation throughout the organization, and now a hospice residence to provide end-of-life care. Offering these specialized services allows people to receive the high quality palliative care that best meets their needs at different stages in their journey whether in their home, the hospital or the residence.
“Hospice Kingston’s Campaign Cabinet is excited to see construction begin,” says Peter Kingston, Campaign Chair. “We are grateful to our community for their incredible commitment to our fundraising efforts and are confident they will continue to support our campaign so we can reach our goal.”
Construction of the Hospice Residence has been made possible through donations from the community and provincial government funding. If you would like to support Hospice Kingston, please contact University Hospital Kingston Foundation at www.uhkf.ca.
Rendering of the exterior of Hospice Residence
- Over the last 37 years, Hospice Kingston has provided comfort, support and companionship to individuals with life-limiting illness, at end of life, and support for their families and those affected by grief and loss.
- The construction contract has been awarded to Kingston-based Emmons & Mitchell Construction Limited. Construction will begin as soon as building permits are issued and it is hoped that the residence will be open in mid-2024.
- The continuum of palliative care services provided through Providence Care:
- The PCH palliative care unit on Heritage 2 provides specialized 24-hour palliative inpatient care for individuals who require higher levels of care or interventions than can be managed in home or hospice, including admissions for symptom management with discharge to palliative home care or hospice.
- The hospice residence will provide specialized 24-hour end-of-life care in a home-like setting for people in their last days to weeks of life and whose care needs can no longer be met at home or home is not their preferred place of death. The focus of care is exclusively to provide comfort and enhance quality of life, with no life-prolonging therapies.
- Community hospice programs are staffed primarily by trained volunteers to support clients and their loved ones with emotional, psychological and spiritual needs as well as in-home assistance with daily living and caregiver respite.
- Total project cost is approaching $13 million – provincial government contribution is $1.75 million. Additional fundraising of $5 million is required through University Hospitals Kingston Foundation and the dedicated Hospice Kingston Campaign Cabinet.
About Providence Care:
Providence Care operates of Providence Care Hospital, Providence Transitional Care Centre, Providence Manor long-term care home, Hospice Kingston, and more than 22 community based mental health and support services across the region. For more information visit ProvidenceCare.ca or follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram.
For more information, contact:
Phone: 613-544-4900 ext. 53372
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com