Providence Transitional Care Centre (PTCC) is celebrating one year of helping bridge the gap in healthcare in Southeastern Ontario.
Located in the former St. Mary’s of the Lake Hospital at 340 Union Street, Providence Transitional Care Centre is a 64 bed facility providing specialized inpatient services. The care is designed to promote and preserve wellness and functionality in older adults with a focus on transitioning people back to their home in the community when they’re ready.
“Our goal is to help people remain in the community for as long as possible so when they come to PTCC for care, we develop a care plan based on their specific needs and help them with their activities of daily living, all while supporting their return to wellness as quickly as possible,” says Darcy Woods-Fournier, Director, Transitional Care and Chief Nursing Executive.
Since its opening the first week of October in 2021, Providence Transitional Care Centre has served 234 patients.
- 65% or 120 patients went home with or without home support.
- 10% of our patients went to long term-care or retirement homes.
- 13 patients were transferred to Providence Care Hospital for higher intensity rehabilitation.
- 77% or 165 patients came from Kingston Health Sciences Centre or other acute care facilities.
Providence Transitional Care Centre has:
- Increased health system capacity to meet the needs of frail, older adults and those living with dementia in South Eastern Ontario.
- Averted hospital admissions through the Emergency Department.
- Reduced the use and length of stay in regional hospitals.
- Improved health and quality of life for patients and families.
- Provided a resource for family physicians to access restorative care directly.
- Providence Transitional Care Centre (PTCC) features 64 transitional care beds across two units.
- PTCC offers the following services: restorative care, cognitive behavioural support, short-stay respite, and convalescent care
- Length of stay varies, but may be up to 90 days
- Queen’s University is our partner at the Providence Care site, located at 340 Union Street.
About Providence Care
Providence Care is Southeastern Ontario’s leading provider of specialized care in aging, mental health and rehabilitation. The organization consists of Providence Care Hospital, Providence Transitional Care Centre, Providence Manor long-term care home, Hospice Kingston, and more than 20 community based mental health and support services across the region.